The way we work and Ethics Point
Turquoise Hill’s reputation for acting responsibly plays a critical role in our success as a business and our ability to generate shareholder value. Our reputation stems from our four core values - Accountability, Respect, Teamwork and Integrity. They define the essence of who we are and who we will be.
The way we work outlines the way we manage the economic, social and environmental challenges of our operations and are important to fulfilling our commitment to contribute to sustainable development.
To view a pdf of Turquoise Hill’s The way we work, click here.
Reporting of any Illegal or Unethical Behaviour
To maintain the ethical standards expected of this organization, Turquoise Hill and its subsidiaries have partnered with EthicsPoint®, an independent firm providing confidential and anonymous “hotline” reporting. The EthicsPoint® system offers simple, safe ways for individuals to report concerns or misconduct either by telephone or through the internet. We prohibit retaliatory action against any employee who, in good faith, reports a possible violation. It is unacceptable to file a report knowing it to be false.
The EthicsPoint® “hotline” for reporting concerns or misconduct also is available to all of our third-party suppliers.
Place an anonymous report:
- By telephone, toll-free, at 1-866-384-4277 (1-866-ETHICSP)
- Via the internet click here
Turquoise Hill and its subsidiaries guarantee that reports submitted via EthicsPoint® are anonymous and confidential. We appreciate your support and concern for the integrity and ethical conduct of our company.
Health, Safety, Environment and Communities (HSEC) Policy
Our commitment to health, safety, environment and communities is fundamental to how we do business at Turquoise Hill. It applies wherever and whenever we operate, from exploration to closure. As such, we are strongly committed to:
- Undertaking all aspects of our businesses in a safe manner and maintaining a healthy workplace for employees, contractors and visitors;
- Implementing a robust HSEC management system;
- Focussing on maintaining a high standard of health, safety, environmental and communities performance through the involvement of all employees, contractors and others affected by our activities and operations;
- Respecting the rights and dignity of all employees throughout our operations and those of our business partners;
- Respecting the rights and dignity of the communities affected by our operations and those of our business partners;
- Encouraging local communities to actively participate in the economic activity resulting from our operations and encouraging regional and community based projects that contribute to sustainable development, without creating dependency;
- Promoting collaborative engagement at international, national, regional and local levels, based on mutual respect, active partnership, and long-term commitment;
- Acknowledging and respecting human rights consistent with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and seeking to ensure we are not complicit in human right abuses committed by others;
- Providing training to employees and contractors to ensure they are aware of HSEC threats and opportunities within our businesses;
- Building and sustaining a positive HSEC culture that is underpinned by strong leadership across the business;
- Providing a framework to understand, identify and manage HSEC risks impacting our business;
- Auditing the HSEC management system to measure and monitor our performance in relation to the HSEC structure implemented;
- Establishing objectives and targets for health, safety, environmental and communities performance throughout our business and reporting this performance to key stakeholders;
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable legislation and any other commitments or requirements to which the company and its subsidiaries subscribe, including its policies and “Code of Business Conduct”;
- Monitoring, managing and minimizing our impact on the environment and using resources efficiently and effectively. To achieve this, we take a strategic approach to driving improved environmental performance in key areas such as:
- Managing and protecting biodiversity: By minimizing the impact of our mining activities on biodiversity, we strive to protect the ecosystems on which we depend. We are committed to having a net positive impact on biodiversity;
- Managing sustainable water: Access to affordable water is critical to Turquoise Hill’s operations. Future access depends on our performance and reputation in managing water responsibly and in a sustainable manner;
- Overseeing climate change and air quality: Emissions of greenhouse gases resulting from human activities are contributing to climate change. Minimising human caused changes to the climate is an important objective; and
- Supervising land access and rehabilitation: We access and use land, rehabilitate unavoidable impacts and work with local communities and others affected to help with their needs in the most effective manner we can. We are thorough in assessing the effects of our activities in advance, particularly in areas of high conservation or heritage value.